Tuesday, January 7, 2014

DIY Chevron Wall Coat Rack -Using Scrap Wood-

UPDATE:  This wall coat rack was featured on Apartment Therapy -A reader there commented that this was not a herringbone pattern, but a chevron pattern.. . . .  duh.  so. yeah. . . We're dummies.  Don't know the difference yourself?  Check out this explanation at Apartment Therapy . . .

In an effort to cure our current lack of organization downstairs I decided to build a wall coat rack hoping it will help us keep our coats, diaper bags, uniforms, purses, baby carriers, bags, and who knows what else off the counter, couch and floor.  I conducted some Pinterest research and drew up the diagrams below, and ended up choosing the herringbone pattern.  









Lumber:
*Everything used from this project was leftover wood in the garage
1/4-in plywood (1 sheet)
2/3' plywood (2 small pieces)
12' of 1x6 boards
Scrap wood for the herring bone pattern I used ripped 2x4, old wood flooring, and pallet wood
Hook hardware

Materials:
Wood Glue
Stain
Polycrylic
Wood Filler
Screws
Nails


Tools:
Nail Gun (could use a hammer, nail and nail punch)
Drill
Speed Square
Clamps
Table Saw (Table saw was used to mount project on wall, if you don't have one you can have your local home improvement store can make the cuts for you)

First we put together our frame using a few 1x6 boards.  I looked ahead of time at where the rack would be going  and decided I wanted the rack to be 2'x4'
This will be the front of the coat rack.

To secure the boards together we used a nail gun, glue, clamps, and a speed square(speed square was to make sure everything was perfectly square). 



After getting the frame together we added a couple pieces of 3/4" plywood onto the back side. . .



We then glued/nailed a sheet of 1/4" plywood onto the 3/4" plywood.  The 1/4" plywood is what the scrap herringbone pattern is glued onto.


When we installed our laminate floors we ripped 2x4's  for wall spacers.  I'd been holding onto these scraps in hopes of using them for something.  I had to save them from JG throwing them away a few times.  I love saving scraps and finding uses for them, while JG would rather have a clean garage.  These pieces were just right to make the herringbone pattern for our coat rack, good thing I saved them :-)

The scrap wood was full of staples I had to pull out with pliers

After the plywood was attached it was time to start cutting pieces for the herringbone pattern.  Unfortunately, this involved math to find angles...  We do have an angle finder (which we really could have used), but it was nowhere to be found.

Although the math was fairly simple, it still managed to make us feel dumb.  I won't embarrass myself further by trying to explain how we did any of this. I probably couldn't even if I wanted to.  We used this Solving Triangles website to refresh our triangle math skills.

To be completely honest, even after doing the math I felt like I ended having to "cut to fit" each and every piece of this pattern.  Generally all the cuts were around the angles we calculated using the triangle formulas,  I'm guessing I made  a bad cut in the beginning because every single angle was just a little different.  I was ready to pull my hair out at the end of this stage. 



I did a happy dance when I finally finished making the pattern cuts :-)

I used wood glue to glue all pieces in.  The pieces were pretty snug in there already so I'm not concerned about reinforcing them with nails.

I apologize for the terrible lighting in a lot of the pictures. Most of the work for this project took place at night so my garage door was closed.

After the pattern was glued and snugly put back in place I clamped everything down with a few extra pieces of wood and let it sit for the night.

After filling in a few nail holes with wood filler I moved on to staining.  For the first coat I tried using a really light coat of Minwax Dark Walnut stain.

Dark Walnut Stain
 Normally, dark walnut is my FAVORITE!  However, this time around it wasn't quite the color we were looking for so I rubbed it down with mineral spirits to try and get as much of it off as I could. 

After it dried again I went with one coat of Rust-Oleum wheat stain, and one coat of Minwax Polycrylic.  This is my first time not using a minwax stain

After everything dried we mounted the hardware which is Everbilt Antique Brass Decorative Coat and Hat Hook, and the second smaller hook I can't seem to find on the website, but it's also an Everbilt hook, looks just like the two hooked one but only has one hook.

Next, we needed to make a sturdy mount.  I've always found mounting heavy things to be daunting, but it ended up being pretty easy.   We used our table saw to make a French Cleat.  If you don't have a table saw you can probably get your local home improvement store to cut it for you.  Here is an explanation of a French Cleat with a good drawing (I didn't take any decent pictures).  We made a french cut for the top and bottom of the coat rack to give it plenty of support.



And just like that we have a place to hang our stuff!









In an effort to keep it real, the above picture is how the rack looked after I hung everything up and put our shoe rack back.  This is how it looks like this most days, save a few days when I  muster the effort to take some shoes and coats upstairs.  Still 100% better than having all that stuff laying around on the floor!

Linked to:
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm 
Make it Yourself Monday @ An Original Belle 
From Dream To Reality @ The DIY Dreamer  
Wowza Weekend @ My Love 2 Create and Patriotic Pam 
Penny Pinching Party @ The Thrifty Home 
Centerpiece Wednesday @ The Style Sisters 
Tuesdays at Our Home @ Our Home Away From Home 
Under $100 @ Beyond the Picket Fence  
Creative Inspirations @ Embracing Change 
Pinworthy Projects @ Just Us Four, Atkinson Drive, Domestic Superhero 
Pin Me @ Diana Rambles  
Revival @ Artof66

18 comments:

  1. Wow! LOVE it! It turned out beautiful, I wish I had a wood shop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it..i would not be able to hang anything on the upper hooks.All thst work and it looked so beautiful....have to show the herringbone design!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it..i would not be able to hang anything on the upper hooks.All thst work and it looked so beautiful....have to show the herringbone design!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, hanging coats over the pattern is a shame. Hopefully when our kids are a little more grown we won't need to use as many of the hooks and I'll be able to get away with just using the bottom row and sides? Probably wishful thinking :-)

      Delete
    2. OR, maybe we'll eventually designate the top rack to a "hats only" space.

      Delete
  4. Very unique solution, especially since you used leftover wood! I really like the color of the finish. Thanks for sharing the step by steps, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were both really happy with the way the stain turned out. The original darker stain didn't do the herringbone pattern justice. The best part of this project (for me) was getting to use up a small part of our stash of scrap wood!!

      Delete
  5. This is BEAUTIFUL!! Seriously, I love it!! And I am jealous, because I hate me closet and need hooks so bad! Great inspiration, and I love the herringbone pattern! Thanks so much for linking to our wowza weekend link party! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting and stopping by! Can't wait to see how your closet turns out :-)

      Delete
  6. I LOVE this! Just as Mindi said above, thanks so much for linking to our wowza weekend link party! We are featuring this on our Wowza Weekend Link Party this weekend. Stop back by The Patriotic Pam tonight to see the feature when it goes live at 7pm (EST)!!! Thanks for sharing with us!
    Pam :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you so much for hosting and for the feature!!

      Delete
  7. This is beautiful! I love the natural wood and herringbone pattern! What a lovely piece to look at when you walk in the door!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just let me say this...I LOVE this DIY coat rack! Thanks so much for sharing it at my party. You will be featured at my party on Monday.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great project! Thank you for the detailed instructions. You have gained a new follower.
    Tabatha {ChicByTab}

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! I was in the Army and I wish I had done something like this! It's beautiful! Found you via Beyond The Picket Fence.

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  11. This coat rack is gorgeous. I love the herringbone pattern and your instructions were so detailed that I definitely think I could DIY this.
    Thanks for sharing it at the Pinworthy Projects Party this week. You were featured on Just Us Four for your fabulous work.

    ReplyDelete